Saturday, August 15, 2009

Borah 2009


IMG_0751, originally uploaded by BellatorisOpacus.

Last weekend was spent climbing Borah Peak, located in the central section of the Lost River Range. My friend Chris and I talked about climbing it a few years ago and we finally made it happen. We left rainy Boise Friday morning, stopped for lunch around noon, and visited Craters of the Moon National Monument along the way. I remember going there as a kid but it didn't make much of an impression on me then as it did this time around. I would like to do some more research on the area and plan a hike. I think it was around 6:30 when we reached the parking lot/campground at the Borah trailhead. We set up tents, had dinner, and loaded packs. The next morning we were on the trail by 6:00 am and making good time. My right hip started hurting after we reached the timberline and we ended up taking a break around 10400'. I ate a sandwich and put a sweatshirt on under my windbreaker because it was getting colder with the clouds rolling in. I stood up and tried to walk but the sharp pain in my hip wouldn't allow me to go any further. Chris and Kevin decided to press on and Justin and I hung out on the mountain for awhile. We hiked a little higher but with each step the pain got worse. I was frustrated with the situation, I wanted to make it to the top on my first attempt at climbing a big mountain but it wasn't going to happen. I think my pack was a bit too heavy and I wasn't used to it. We ended up dumping out some water bottles to lower the weight and Justin switched packs with me. 10446' was our highest and we started down the mountain.

If I would have had some Tylenol I could've popped 3-4, waited 45 minutes and kept going but I didn't have any. (note to self: take some next time)

It was a fun time and I am looking forward to climbing it again next year.

No comments: