Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Idaho Green Expo

Idaho Green Expo


This past weekend I rode the Big Dummy to the Boise Centre on the Grove and gave a car-free living presentation at the 1st Annual Idaho Green Expo. It didn't go as well as I had hoped it would but I guess that's what happens when you put something together at the last minute. Maybe someday I will put together a well thought out and organized presentation and hopefully encourage more people to ditch their cars.

Anyway, it was cool to meet Clancy and check out his sweet Kona Xtracycle long bike! I really like the Schwalbe Big Apples he has on it and the way they ride, it's an awesome setup. Clancy pointed out a Yuba Mundo with a custom plyboo snapdeck on it parked outside of the expo doors and I met the owner of it later when I was riding around the the electric vehicle display. I complimented him on his plyboo creation and told him about wanting to make Xtracycle footsies out of bamboo but the price was too high (Franklin Building Supply quoted $200 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plyboo!). He handed me his card and told me to email him. Turns out he is the owner of a company named Sustainabuilt and they build furniture out of the stuff! So yesterday I emailed him and here is his reply:

Hey Josh,
I'll be at the shop everyday this week except Thursday. Feel free to swing by and I'll get you a couple pieces of scrap plyboo. If it's just footsie material your after, It's on me. We'll come up with something.
Check the website for directions. 221 W 37 Suite F in Garden City.
Take care,

Brad Boggess
Sustainabuilt, LLC


I'm stoked! now I can finish the footsie project I started a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

Clancy said...

It was great to meet you too and thanks for the Big Dummy ride. Can't wait to see your version of a footsie.