Saturday, April 12, 2008

Goodbye Mango


Mango!, originally uploaded by Monkeykun.

I started bicycle commuting on a daily basis early last year using an older Cannondale mountain bike that was sitting unused in the garage. It was a little undersized but I fell in love with the freedom and benefits of commuting by bike. After awhile I decided it was time to buy a new one that would fit me and meet what I thought were the requirements of a commuting bicycle. I chose a 2007 Specialized Rockhopper. Why? I can't really remember. I think it was the color that attracted me most (and the slick Juicy Avid brakes). I named it "Mango". As time went by, the bicycle obsession grew. I sold my car and started collecting bikes. I now have a Raleigh Rx1.0, a Burley Koosah recumbent, a single speed cruiser, and the the most recent addition--a Surly Big Dummy. Probably more than one person needs but I love them all.

A year later, Mango doesn't get used as much as it should. My Raleigh is usually my first choice for most urban riding adventures and lately I've been enjoying the Surly. I decided Mango needed to go onto bigger and better things instead of collecting dust in the garage. My first thought was to sell it on Craigslist, try to recover a portion of what I paid for it, but I decided to do something else. Today Mango will be going to a new home in Medford, Oregon. I am giving it to my younger brother Jake. I hope it will open the door of two wheels and the "meat motor" for him and infect him with bike-fluenza like it did for me.

See ya Mango.

No comments: